Scrub a dub, exfoliate in the tub—or just about anywhere you wash! The only thing more fun than making these exfoliating DIY loofah soaps is using them. Place a couple by the sink for a refreshing hand wash or keep a few in the shower for smoother, more radiant skin from shoulders to heels!
Here’s how to craft your own DIY loofah soaps with essential oils—soft skin is only a few ingredients away!
Yield: About 15 soaps
3 natural loofah sponges about 5-6 inches long each
2 pounds clear glycerin soap
Essential oils—see our suggestions below
Round silicone molds about 3 inches in diameter
1. Cut the loofah sponge into 1-inch-wide disks and place in the mold, lying flat.
YL tip: Tie a string around your loofah before you place it in the mold. The string allows you to hang it from a hook in your shower, so you never drop the soap again!
2. Cut the glycerin soap into about 1-ounce squares. Put 2 squares in a microwavable bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds or until melted.
YL tip: Two squares make 1 soap. To make larger batches, melt more soap and add the proper amount of oil and dye to keep the ratios the same. We like making individual soaps so we can customize scents and colors.
3. Add 3-4 drops of soap dye and 3-4 drops of your favorite essential oil to the melted glycerin soap. Mix well.
4. Pour the glycerin soap mixture into the mold, fully covering the loofah sponge.
5. Repeat until all the loofahs are covered with glycerin soap. Let them dry for 2-3 hours, pop the soaps out of the mold, and lather up!
But it’s about more than healthier-looking skin. Removing that layer of dead cells helps the skin better absorb products like serums and lotions. For silky-smooth skin, exfoliate 2-3 times a week and follow the treatment with a rich moisturizer like our Coconut-Lime Replenishing Body Butter. The combination of exfoliation and moisturization will help revitalize and rejuvenate the appearance of even the driest skin!
YL tip: The loofahs in these soaps are great exfoliators for your body, but they are too powerful for the delicate skin on your face. Leave that to our Satin Facial Scrub!
Fun fact about loofahs
Wondering why we can use the term “all-natural” when talking about these exfoliation masters? It’s because they grow on trees! Loofahs, or luffas, are the product of the fully ripened fruit of the L. aegyptiaca or L. acutangula trees—a loofah a day keeps the dry skin away!
Each DIY loofah soap calls for 3-4 drops of essential oil, so keep the blends simple. You can also scent your soaps with just one essential oil for a nice concentration of your favorite smell. If you like to mix and match oils, here are a few ideas:
- Relaxing retreat: Peace & Calming® with Copaiba
- Floral foam: Lavender with Geranium
- Calming cleanse: Patchouli with Cardamom
- Masculine mood: Shutran with Northern Lights Black Spruce
- Citrus suds: Tangerine with Grapefruit
- Woodsy wash: Pine with Cedarwood
If you love nothing more than relaxing in a nice, hot bath, try this DIY bubble bath next time you slip in for a soak. To make bath time more fun for kids, enlist the help of our DIY essential oil bath jellies.
What essential oils are you going to use to bring aromatic bliss to your bath or shower?
Share in the comments!