After summer’s free-for-all, returning to a set back-to-school routine of bedtimes, alarm clocks, bustling morning checklists, and getting out the door on time can be both a comfort and a challenge. To make this seasonal switch easier, we put together a few simple tips to help you get ready for that first day of school without any tears or meltdowns.
This first set of tips is tailored for any reset to your day-to-day routine, whether it’s getting back on track for school or returning from a long vacation or winter break.
1. Start early
Don’t wait until the night before school starts to set up new routines for the start of school. Giving yourself and your kiddos a few days, or even a week, to ease into the new schedule will make the transition a happier one for everyone involved.
2. Bedtime routines
A good night’s sleep is the foundation for a good day, so start your back-to-school prep by getting your bedtime routines back on track. Many kids struggle with going to bed, so try these tricks to help make setting a bedtime easier.
- Go screen free before bed. Turn off screens at least an hour before bedtime. Blue light can interfere with the natural production of sleep hormones.
- Find natural ways to unwind. Help those wound-up kiddos calm down from a day of summer fun with a relaxing bath or make their room a peaceful sanctuary with essential oils. For a little extra help, spritz their bedding with soothing Seedlings® Calm Linen Spray.
- Start small and work your way up. If bedtime was nonexistent over the summer, try setting a later bedtime and moving it 15 to 20 minutes earlier each night until you’ve reached your desired time.
- Have a plan for nights when settling down is tough. On nights when high-energy children need extra help settling down, try KidScents® Unwind.
- Prepare what you can in advance. Lay out kids’ outfits for the next day to avoid the inevitable morning rush to find something to wear.